Monday, March 05, 2007

The Great Green Tea Caper...

Well, that's what I like to call it...to get to today, I need to rewind many moons ago....

(Full moon in South Dakota, 2005)

I loved it when my grandmother Bogga visited. Even at 4 or 5 years old I remember being a pre-dawn riser, and she would always be up, reading, and having her coffee with milk and sugar. I'd go cuddle up next to her and she'd let me have a sip if I promised not to tell mom and dad...I remember liking the taste. Of course, it was supposed to have stunted my growth, which, for those that have seen me, know that didn't come within a snowball's chance in Hades of ever happening...!

And so through the years I've enjoyed coffee...just that classic type of feel-good vibe that Linus must have when he has his blanket. Becoming a pro at drinking it when I first wake up, I long ago ditched the traditional coffee machine for one that perks into a thermos...that way, I can keep it by my side while I do morning 'stuff'...or take it with me in the car if I have to travel (which also entails thinking ahead to the 3 rest stops I would need...)


2 years ago, though, I got the flu...bad, too...and strangely enough I lost my taste for coffee. Just didn't want it. Tea? Now that went down well. The benefits of green tea in particular had already been trickling out (which can be the kiss of death)...I figured all the antioxidents in green tea wouldn't hurt, either, so I quickly began my love affair with Salada Green Tea in 40-count boxes which the local WalMart carried for pennies under $2.00. While I still love coffee, I have just chosen to have a pot of green tea instead.


And so, in moving back to North Carolina, the local Wally World carried the same tea at $2.39...but not for long. Let the media "Buzz"ards latch onto anything and you would think society doesn't have a lick of sense. "Oooh, gotta get on the bandwagon! This is THE thing! Better hurry or you'll miss out and be a pathetic loser!" And what is the very first thing you notice as a result? Cha-ching, cha-ching...gee, imagine that...the price starts jumping by leaps and bounds.

Only this time, going back now to late 2006...my Salada tea 'disappeared' from the shelves. There was plenty of the decaf variety for 60 cents more...but my good ol' green box of Salada tea went **poof**. The price label and empty space is even today still on the shelf, but it has yet to be back out after months of continual absence. Lipton Green Tea has sidled in at $3.69...and Salada has showed up at a local grocery store chain and drug store chain retailing for $4.99...lucky you, you could get it for just $3.99 on sale. The same 40-count box.


Now I know what many people would say...that's the way it works, the economy and all...and I say no, that's the way it works because people have made choices for it to work that way. It can easily be different, given the innate power of belief systems. Some say it's smart business. I say it's money-grubbing and bad mojo. When my flute supply runs low and/or demand is high, I don't go jacking up my prices. Won't do it, either.


I know enough to know the benefits ain't worth the new inflated price. Salada lost me as a customer. I've decided that 2 family bags of good ol' Pekoe at just one-third the price of the "new" Salada is perfectly fine by me...plenty of antioxidents to still go around. And plenty of bathrooms to still be found.

The "Tao of Economics"...your oxymoron for the day.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just happen to have a box and 3/4 of Salada in my cabinet you can have. We switched to Uncle Lee's Organic Green Tea. It's smooooooth. No bitter after taste. The Salada was just about to hit the can. It's yours.

Bobbye

Bob Child said...

What a pal, Bobbye! First you solve my website woes and now THIS! As you know, my point was how they ruined a good thing, from a consumer's perspective. You have very refined tastes!

Anonymous said...

Craig has refined tastes. I still drink coffee for the most part... with stevia... by the bucket. :-) Have a great day!

Bobbye

Bob Child said...

For me, it's hard to have refined taste when I add in some half-n-half and Splenda into the pot, hence being okay with the rotgut stuff. If I have to have a vice, that one's pretty innocuous!

Anonymous said...

While I don't know either the Salada or Uncle Lee's brands, they both sound good! My teas at home are mostly "Republic of Tea" brand, and I can't remember the prices, but I usually find them in coffee/tea retail shops, specialty grocers, Barnes & Noble or Borders book stores, and places like that.
I've recently learned that white tea has even better/stronger antioxidant properties too. I had not even heard of "white tea" before! But "Republic of Tea" has a white tea that has a light cucumber-melon taste -- excellent tea! And the stuff here in my desk drawer at work is "Alvita" brand Red Clover tea -- THAT'S good stuff, either hot or as iced-tea!

But I'm NOT giving up my coffee though, I love coffee -- creamers, hazlenut, toffee nut, carmel latte creations! Oh no, I'm KEEPING those! Yeh, if coffee is the worst "vice" I have, I'm not doing too bad either! :)

Suzy :)

Bob Child said...

GOOD for you! Oh, teas are out there aplenty...just irks me when the price of something in particular is jacked up to reap a cheap profit ...I won't join in that fray. I've heard of White Tea, though never tried it...glad you kept your vices in the coffee department! Long-live the frothy caramel lattes with Madagascar cinammon!!!

Anonymous said...

I went to the grocery store this afternoon, and out of curiosity checked to see if they had the Salada 40 count, and they did! When I saw it, (only one on the shelf) I immediately thought, "oh my gosh, I'll have to get it for Bob!" Then I saw the price of $3.99 and thought, "he'd kill you, fool." :-)
Bobbye

Bob Child said...

Yeah, didn't want to have to do that...! Lovin' my good ol' cheap Pekoe at the moment here at my odd 1am wake-up window...! :-)

Beverly said...

I've come to realize that on the other end of "low prices" is someone not being paid fairly for their goods and services. Unfortunately higher prices based on demand (as you sited) don't necessarily translate to better trade conditions for the farmers and workers from which our daily comforts come. It's black (free trade/shade grown) coffee for me. I like the story about your grandmother. She obviously knew the value of those pre-dawn hours when the clutter of living doesn't drown out the wisdom of silence.

Bob Child said...

Excellent point, Beverly...I thought of that after I posted the article, and agree that Fair Trade is important. I also have heard horror stories on how WalMart strong-arms vendors to sell at very cheap prices just to get on their shelves, which is another can of worms. The other example was Bin 65 Lindeman's Chardonnay from Aussie Land...years ago hit "Best Buy" in consumer magazine and in 1 month my 6.99 bottle jumped to 9.99. Stinks no matter how you look at.